My PCT blog is live!
On August 16th, 2022, 135 days after leaving Campo, CA on April 4th, I reached the Canadian border and thus completed my thru-hike of the Pacific Crest Trail.
I shared thoughts and photos daily on Instagram during my adventure. In hindsight, I’m thrilled that I had the discipline to carve out 20 minutes every night to sort through my pictures and capture a few notes, despite the irresistible pull of my quilt. As 4.5 months’ worth of landscapes and footsteps start to blur together, reading through my Instagram musings brings back vivid memories.
To celebrate my one-year trailversary, I will follow-through on my promise to turn much of this content into a proper blog. I will be publishing daily entries through mid-August, with the aim to commemorate the adventure roughly exactly a year later. I will be backdating the posts so they accurately reflect my own hike and the conditions in 2022—the trail in 2023 feels like a completely different universe, due to the historic snowstorms that have pummeled California.
In addition to the photos that I have shared on Instagram, I will also include large-size panoramas, as well as the occasional VR or 360 degree immersive picture. Being a geek, I have captured a GPS track of my entire footpath, as well as a trove of data about the environment and my performance. Every blog post will include 3D renderings and videos of my path, as well as a few fun stats.
In addition to being a fun and therapeutic way to relive the journey, it is my hope that this blog can be somewhat helpful to future hikers. You can check out my original lighterpack (gear list)—while I made a few adjustments along the way, I didn’t make any drastic changes. Most of my gear has even returned in a decent shape, and a few issues were easily addressed: ZPacks replaced a broken zipper on my tent for free, and Osprey sent me a brand new backpack at no cost. I wholeheartedly recommend purchasing from them.
Index by month
- Day 128: Mile 2494.5 (Lake Sally Ann) to 2521.8 (Mica Lake)
- Day 127: Mile 2469.2 to 2494.5 (Lake Sally Ann)
- Day 126: Mile 2447.2 (Deception Lakes) to 2469.2 through Stevens Pass
- Day 125: Mile 2420.9 to 2447.2 (Deception Lakes)
- Day 124: Mile 2394.1 (Snoqualmie Pass) to 2420.9
- Day 123: Mile 2377.8 to 2394.1 (Snoqualmie Pass)
- Day 122: Mile 2348.0 (Government Meadows/Mike Urich cabin) to 2377.8
- Day 121: Mile 2321.6 (Dewey Lake) to 2348.0 (Government Meadows/Mike Urich cabin)
- Day 120: Mile 2295.9 (White Pass) to 2321.6 (Dewey Lake)
- Day 119: Mile 2280.5 to 2295.9 (White Pass)